Information about long stay (D) visas
A long-stay visa (D) is issued for short-term employment in Estonia and it allows to travel in Schengen area for three months in any six-month period under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit.
Before applying for a visa the short-term employment must be registered at the Estonian Police- and Border Guard Board. An application for registration of short-term employment may be submitted in the following cases:
- persons engaged in creative activities who work in a performing arts institution;
- for working as a teacher or lecturer in an educational institution, which complies with requirements established by Estonian law;
- for working as a scientist if the alien has appropriate professional training or experience;
- for working as a sportsman, coach, referee or sports official for professional activities on the basis of an invitation from a respective sports federation;
- for employment as a trainee in order to obtain vocational education intermediated by an educational institution or a student organisation located abroad if this is a part of the relevant training programme;
- in order to serve in the diplomatic representation of a foreign country with the permission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- for working as an au pair;
- for working as an expert, adviser or consultant providing that the alien has the required professional training;
- for working as an installer of equipment or a skilled worker providing that the alien has the required professional training
- for working as a seasonal worker processing agricultural products;
- on the basis of an international agreement.
For further information on application for registration of short-term employment, please see Police- and Border Guard Board website.
A long-stay visa may be issued with a period of stay up to six months and with a period of validity up to twelve months.
Documents to be submitted upon application for visa
The following has to be submitted for application for visa:
- a valid travel document which is issued within previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;
- a filled in and signed application form. In case several persons (minors or a spouse) are covered by the same travel document, individual application forms must be filled in and signed by the persons concerned, in case of minors signed by the parental authority or the legal guardian. A minor at least 15 years old may lodge and sign a visa application personally;
- photo (size 35x45 mm, requirements to a photo);
- Insurance policy valid in Schengen countries with a coverage of at least 30.000 EUR for the entire duration of stay in Schengen area;
- visa fee £ 63